Monday, January 14, 2008

Our Little Girl is Growing Up

I hope that you all are sitting down for this one. Thursday night Allison asked me if she could talk to me about the Ten Commandments. Mostly the 7th one that states that you should not have unpure thoughts and that sex should be saved for marriage. She said that Daddy would just blush and run away if she asked him. She wanted to know what unpure thoughts were. I explained it as simple as I could. The next thing she wanted to know is if Keith and I have ever has sex. After I picked myself up off the floor, I explained to her that we have and that is the reason we have 2 children. She then realized that children come from God and sex. She stated that we must not have sex anymore since we do not want anymore children. I just smiled and agreed! She thanked me for the talk and went to bed.

I guess after some thinking on the subject, Allison realized that she really did not know what sex really was. Last night she came to me while washing dishes and wanted see if we could talk again later. I mentioned this to Keith while folding clothes and he went and talked to her. She was a little grossed out by the whole thing. He used as little description to make it easy for her to understand and explained to her that it was not a gross thing. It is a gift from God for a husband and wife to share.

We just never thought that this would come so soon. I guess with T.V. and friends with older siblings we should have known. We were talking with other parents in our church bible study and were shocked to hear that another family had to have that same talk with their 9 yr old daughter. We have always tried to be open and honest with both the girls. We hope that this parenting style will allow for a very open and honest relationship when we get to the teenage years.

I am sure that her little mind will come up with some more questions in the future. Please pray for us! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Time to fess-up!!!!!!!
I think this is going to be a good thing so you can talk with her and make sure the girls get the information straight from her parents.
Paw Paw

Jodi said...

Carrie,
I can only imagine how hard that was!!! I am sure you have seen as much as I have in your job, but I can remember working with an eleven year old that was pregnant. If only she ahd had parents like you and Keith to talk to her about things like this! You two are a great example for the rest of us!!!
We love you, Jodi